Over thirty years development, peacebuilding and humanitarian experience, operational in diverse geographic contexts, and at organisational leadership and policy level.
• Strategic analysis and programme design in peacebuilding and development, in fragile or conflict-affected contexts:
o Background research and analysis
o Organisational, thematic or country level strategy design
o Programme and project design or adaptation
• Implementation guidance, training and support for peacebuilding, development and humanitarian projects
• Guidance on integrating conflict-sensitivity and peacebuilding into development and humanitarian programmes
• Project and programme evaluation
• Research on specific peacebuilding topics or contexts to inform policy and/or policy advocacy
• Writing and editing
• Advice to businesses on their societal relations, including how to operate in conflict-affected contexts, at policy or project level
• Short-term interim management, and management/leadership advice.
I consider my strengths to be:
Analysis, strategy, programme design & evaluation.
Leadership and leadership advice.
Research, writing and editing.
Policy analysis, advocacy and advice.
I enjoy working on:
I worked for a combination of development, humanitarian and peacebuilding NGOs from 1985-2017, starting as a forester in Sudan and ending as director of programmes for International Alert. Since January 2018 I have been working as a self-employed consultant.
2004-2017: Director of Programmes, International Alert (Acting CEO, August-November 2015)
2000-2004: Country Director, CARE Uganda
1998-2000: Programme Coordinator and Deputy Country Director, CARE Togo/Ghana/Benin
1995-1998: Programme Coordinator and Deputy Country Director, CARE Mali
1994-1995: Assistant Country Director for operations, CARE Mali
April-September 1994: Rwanda Disaster Operations Coordinator, CARE Rwanda
1992-1994: Projects Manager, CARE Rwanda
1988-1990: Manager, Community Forestry & Agricultural Management Project, CARE Lesotho
1987-1988: Forester, Kordofan Agroforestry Extension Project, CARE Sudan
1985-1987: Volunteer forester (Voluntary Service Overseas).
1976-1985: Worked in agriculture and forestry in England and Scotland